Theme 4 In vivo experimental models

Abstract : Background: In 90% of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) cases, the disease is sporadic, the remaining 10% being familial. Many genes have been associated with the disease. The use of next generation sequencing has allowed increasing the number of genes analysed in routine diagnostics. However, this increase raises the issue of genetic variants interpretation within a growing number of ALS-associated-genes. Variant classification is based on a combinatory analysis of multiple factors. Among them, functional analyses provide strong arguments on pathogenicity interpretation.Objectives: We developed a simple animal model, the Zebrafish, for the functional analysis of candidate variants pathogenicity identified by routine genetic testing.Methods: Transient overexpression of different ALS associated genetic variants has been performed by mRNA injection in 1-cell stage zebrafish eggs. Validation of protein overexpression has been done by western blot. Embryos mortality, developmental delay and morphological abnormalities have been assessed within the first two days of development. Cellular phenotype has been investigated by the analysis of axonal length of 2-days old larvae with confocal microscopy. Motor phenotype of 5-days old larvae has been explored by touched-evoked response assay.Results: The model has been validated by the analysis of well-described ALS mutations, SOD1-Gly93Ala and OPTN Glu478Gly. Overexpression of this mutated protein was shown to provoke a shortening of axons and a premature axonal branching, as well as an impairment of motor performances as expected. We did not observe these aberrations in SOD1-WT injected fishes. Two candidate variants observed in ALS-patients have been explored with our model: SOD1 NM_000454.4:c.400_402del, p.Glu134del and OPTN NM_021980.4:c.1475T > G, p. Leu492Arg. Overexpression of both variants induced morphological abnormalities and motor impairment, suggesting a pathogenic involvement of these variants in ALS-patients.Discussion and conclusions: We developed for the first time a simple animal model, the Zebrafish, useful for the functional analysis of variant pathogenicity in order to assist ALS molecular diagnosis. Our model has been used to assess the pathogenicity of SOD1 and OPTN candidate variants, allowing to improve genetic testing interpretation.
Type de document :
Article dans une revue
Liste complète des métadonnées

https://hal.umontpellier.fr/hal-02364883
Contributeur : Laurent Tripoli <>
Soumis le : vendredi 15 novembre 2019 - 10:53:43
Dernière modification le : samedi 16 novembre 2019 - 01:41:10

Lien texte intégral

Identifiants

Collections

Citation

Aleksandra Chudinova, Mireille Rossel, Annette C Vergunst, Gwendal Le Masson, William Camu, et al.. Theme 4 In vivo experimental models. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Frontotemporal Degeneration, 2019, 20 (sup1), pp.160-187. ⟨10.1080/21678421.2019.1646992⟩. ⟨hal-02364883⟩

Partager

Métriques

Consultations de la notice

20